Taxi, school bus drivers to enjoy Socso contributions from next month, says Loke

Published on 23 Feb 2024 8:49:26 PM

Effective next month, a total of 35,000 taxi drivers and 18,000 school bus drivers in the country will benefit from Social Security Organisation (Socso) subscriptions which will be paid fully by the government.

Transport Minister Anthony Loke told reporters that on Friday (Feb 23), and said 90 per cent of their Socso subscription will be borne through an allocation from the Finance  Ministry, while the Transport Ministry is paying the remaining 10 per cent for one year.

The move, Loke said, was to provide social protection to taxi and school bus drivers in the event of an accident.